Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Motel 6, Amherst, NY (trip to Niagara Falls)


I wanted to take a short weekend trip to Niagara Falls, NY. I had already been to the Canadian side many years ago, but my Girlfriend has never been to either.

I wanted something cheap and booked this hotel after reading a lot of reviews. This one got decent reviews and wasn't too far from Niagara. The one negative thing I read was one person saying the drive took them 2 hours with traffic, but it was more like 20 minutes for me. There's hardly any traffic up there at all!

This hotel was $69 a night roughly. There were hotels closer to the falls, but I didn't want to pay a lot of money.

I called the hotel directly to explain I wouldn't be arriving until 11PM or later. The lady put a note in their computer. Check in was quick.

The hallway did smell like cigarettes, but I couldn't smell it in the room. The room smelled okay. The beds, blankets, and pillows were clean. The air conditioning worked fine, but be warned they will turn it off during the day, so you won't come back to a cool room.

The bathroom was fine. Clean, and towels refreshed daily. Shower worked fine. They do not give you shampoo or soap, but I wasn't really expecting it for this price. Besides, I brought my own.

The area around the hotel doesn't seem too bad. Within a very short driving distance from the hotel you have a few gas stations, shopping, and places to eat. There's a 24 hour Denny's and an IHOP, but I'm not sure if the IHOP is 24 hours. Around the corner was a Tim Horton's and a McDonald's. There was also a Friendly's, Taco Bell, a few Italian places, a Japanese steakhouse, and more I forget them all. There's a Best Buy, Pet Smart, Staples, etc.

The front desk has directions to Niagara Falls if you don't have a GPS. Just a short drive from the hotel, maybe 20 or 25 minutes, is Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY. Birthplace of the Buffalo Wing! Really good food and interesting restaurant to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment