Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Black Bean Veggie Burgers

This recipe was good enough to share, but at the end I'll list what I would have done differently.

Ingredients:

  • 1 (15 ounce) can of black refried beans
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon Sweet Chili Sauce (you can get this in the International Aisle of the supermarket next to the Asian or Chinese foods)
  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs (plain)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.

In a medium bowl, put the can of refried beans.

In a food processor, add bell pepper and onion. Pulse for a bit to get it chopped finely.

In a small bowl mix together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.

Stir egg mixture into refried beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four balls. Spray a hamburger patty maker with nonstick coating and press balls into patties on baking sheet. You may have to reapply a little nonstick spray to the hamburger patty maker so it doesn't stick. I was able to do two patties and then had to respray.

Bake patties for 10 minutes on each side.

What DID I do differently? I felt the mixture was too sticky, so I added another 1/2 cup of bread crumbs. What WOULD I do differently? I'd probably add another teaspoon of the sweet chili sauce. You can use hot sauce instead if you want.

Serve on rolls as you would a hamburger with some ketchup or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment