Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Kombucha

From Wikipedia:

"Kombucha is a fermented tea that is often drunk for medicinal purposes ... Kombucha is available commercially and can be made at home by fermenting tea using a visible, solid mass of yeast and bacteria which forms the kombucha culture which is often referred to as the "mushroom" or the "mother"

One bottle of tea contains about 2 billion living organisms!


I bought mine in the grocery store rather than trying to start my own. I don't want to say what brand I bought, because I don't think the brand is nasty. I think kombucha in general is nasty.

First off, what was I expecting this to taste like? It really does taste like I'm drinking a moldy drink. They have original flavor, but also have other flavors. Even with other juice or whatever added, it still tastes like a moldy drink.

Second off, it smells like vinegar. I don't mind the smell too much, but it is potent and stinks the whole area of my office around my desk.

Third, and this is the only reason I didn't finish drinking mine, is that it ferments so it naturally builds up a carbonation. I did not know this. I spent most of my youth drinking soda hard core. My Mom worked overnights at a convenience store and would bring me Jolt! Cola home for breakfast. Later on she worked for various deli's, so I would get my fix on the way to school sometimes or after. Most of the time both. That ruined my insides and I don't dhink anything with carbonation anymore. Makes me want to vomit.

Anyway, based on the carbonation mainly (and maybe partially the vinegar smell) I only drank a few sips of my drink. What a waste of close to four bucks! If moldy flavor and possible health benefit (there's no scientific proof) is up your alley then look no further.

No comments:

Post a Comment