Thursday, January 14, 2010

Yakisoba


I generally don't like long thin noodles or ramen noodles, but saw Maruchan Yakisoba noodles in the store the other day. For 80 cents I figured I should try some. I could save a lot of money if I learned to like it and eat it religiously for my daily lunch instead of going out. I probably spend over $30 a week going out to lunch some weeks.

They've got a bunch of flavors: Teriyaki Beef, Chicken, Cheddar Cheese, Four Cheese, Tomato & Basil, Savory Soy Sauce, Roast Chicken, Spicy Vegetable, Shrimp, Sweet & Sour Chicken, and Spicy Chicken. They've also got Taco Beef now.


The instructions couldn't be easier. Peel lid back halfway, insert water to fill line, microwave 4 minutes (adjustments might have to be made for different microwave wattages), mix in seasoning packet.

I can actually cook these about 3 minutes 25 seconds or so and they come out fine. As I stated above I don't like long noodles.. I'm not a slurp and get shit all over your chin/ruin a new shirt type of guy, but I found myself slurping today trying to save some money.

The first one I tried was cheese. The noodles are long, curvy, and slippery. They were soft, although I thought the flavor was a little weak. I won't hold it against them since I put in a little too much water. That was my fault. It was good enough to try again and the next time putting in the correct amount of water was better.

I read over the ingredients as I ate and noticed they also used blue cheese in there. While it didn't have a strong blue cheesy flavor, I wish they'd make one that did have that "bite".

The next one I tried was Taco Beef. Love, love, love the flavor. Very spicy, very flavorful. The broth left behind is awesome. I always finish it. I've also found other uses for that spice packet. I will mix some with water and add it to my hamburgers. It's also good in potato soup.

The last flavor I tried is Teriyaki Beef Flavor. There's no actual beef in it. When pouring out the seasoning packet you see a lot of brown sugar I think. It looks like it's going to be very flavorful. It's not. The flavor was a bit weak. Tasting the broth by itself you can taste a little depth of flavor, but it's not Teriyaki. It's a tiny bit sweet, a tiny bit spicy, but not at all Teriyaki. It's not something I want to buy again, as I'm so hung up on the Taco Beef.

For 80 cents I think these make a good lunch. Mix in a few crackers or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment